Monday, May 16, 2005

The Power of Words

I found this lovely website for engineers, by engineers. There are a series of posts about unsuccessful brand names. The conversation about Amelia Earhart luggage is particularly charming, as one electrical engineer called "skogsgurra" takes quite a while to understand why there's a problem with luggage named after a disappeared pilot.

MintJulep: I swear, I am not making this up. There is actually Amelia Earhart brand luggage.
skogsgurra: This is probably very good. But I am totally lost. I know nothing about Amelia Earhart or why his/her name would be fun/shocking/terribly awful in conjunction with luggage. I guess that it is obvious to most of you, but not to me. Enlighten me, please.
anegri: I'm Italian and I didn't know about that name ... but after a quick research on the internet, I found that she was a famous American Aviatrix of the first decades of 1900 ... May be MintJulep finds it not much 'tactful' for the memory of the Aviatrix to use her name for a commercial brand ...?
skogsgurra: ... I still do not understand. A famous pilot's name seems to be OK on luggage. ...
MintJulep: Ms. Earhart's most famous accomplishment is disappearing without a trace. Not ideal properties for your luggage.
skogsgurra: Thanks ... I understand now.
BJC: MintJulep, they found Amelia Earhart on episode 20 of Star Trek: Voyager. ...

Oh, engineers!

There was also a Nissan model called "Cedric." Who knew? And a bath and beauty store called Eben Ezer.

No comments: