Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Why blog?

If you are reading this, you probably know that I'm moving to Chicago in August.

FAQ:
1) Why are you moving to Chicago??
The short answer is: To stay with Patrick. He's starting his PhD in Latin American History at the University of Chicago in September, with the ultimate goal of teaching university-level classes (he got sick of high school). Maybe there would also be opportunities to do government stuff, with the UN, ? Who knows?

2) How long will you be there?
Patrick's program usually takes people six years to finish (hey, it's shorter than neurosurgery). We wouldn't have to stay near the University for the last couple years, because he'd just be writing his dissertation (not taking classes or anything).

3) Are you coming back to the Yay Area?
I hope so. I left my heaaaarrrrrt ... in San Francisco ...

4) Why are you moving to Chicago??
The longer answer is somewhere in the next few paragraphs: I'm excited for the change, for one thing. I've never had that dislocation experience, I've always had my family and the streets I know and MUNI and BART and CalTrain, beautiful California weather and California culture. I think it's important for me to be able to empathize with all those people who move. And it will be neat (for a little while, anyway) to see autumn leaves, and snow, and spring will be that much more thrilling when it comes around.

It's also a big plus that Isabel, the friend I've had the longest if you don't count cousins, lives in Chicago now. Patrick has some friends out there too, and his mom is only 4 hours away (she lives in Iowa).

I'm excited about the job I might get, too. A couple of weeks ago, I had some interviews (while Patrick was apartment-hunting), and there was one school I really liked. Grades 7-12, 325 students. All girls but it's a public charter school. The atmosphere was fantastic; people are really friendly with each other, and teachers really support their students--and other teachers, which is going to be crucial for me as a new teacher in a completely new city.

5) Will you miss us?
YES! How can you even ask me that!?! I'm already nostalgic for those days when we played hide-and-go-seek (and I love watching Anthony and Joey and Allison--oh yeah, and Michael--playing now), and made forts out of the sofas, and tried to figure out if Ouiji (spelling?) boards really worked. Take-out was such a treat, and Auntie Lorna's soups! Or whatever was on the menu but always with Swensen's ice cream for dessert. Remember ice cream soup? (ew) How do you spell no mai fon, fon kei gnow yuk chow mein, laap cheung?

I will sorely miss the family that has always taken care of me. I'll be back, though, so you can reprimand me for eating the sausage in the sticky rice and feed me lots of jai (do they have that in Chicago?).

And my friends, my dear, dear friends. We are all scattering to the wind! Finally growing up, I guess.

To everyone: Come visit me in the Windy City. It's a cool place.

No comments: