Saturday, August 20, 2005

Settling In

So here's a picture of our apartment. The number did end up to be 1B; at first we wanted to try to get a different unit (it wasn't cleaned very well, and Patrick wanted to try to get a greener view), but we finally decided that we should just get comfortable. The leasing agency did get us a new refrigerator and $100 for our cleaning troubles, and that was nice.

I'm liking the apartment a lot. The kitchen and bathroom are kind of small, but the other rooms are spacious, and there are beautiful hardwood floors everywhere. (We put your rug down in the dining room, Auntie Noreen. It makes so much difference!! Thank you!!) We got a bunch of plants from Patrick's mom and from yard sales, and some light green curtains with a floral print, so the view is green enough. I'd love to have a cat, too, but we aren't allowed to have pets, and I also worry that we'd get the wrong cat, one that would love to scratch everything, and pee everywhere, and be very upset about being cooped up in an apartment. So no kitty right now. Maybe later. But then there's also the worry that a cat would get Patrick's allergies up, so maybe never.

Went to a White Sox game last week. It was a lot of fun--at least, the first 9 innings were. The Twins tied the game in the top of the ninth, and it took another seven innings for the Sox to lose, 9 to 4!!! We left at the bottom of the 12th. It was a good time anyway, hanging out with the other YWLCS faculty. The seats were pretty good, too; even though we were pretty high up, the stadium (formerly Cominsky, now Cellular One or something like that) seating is practically vertical, so it feels like you're right on top of the field.

I like the faculty a lot, and the benefit of these two weeks--even though I don't feel extremely ready for students--has been to get to know the staff and really begin to feel like a part of the organization, something that never quite happened for me at the school where I was student teaching last year.

Finally saw some students today! We had a registration BBQ, which was hot and hectic, but the parents and students themselves (a whole lot of women! men, where were you? thank you to those fathers who did come, although I doubt you're reading my blog) really impressed me by how sweet and friendly they were. (Of course, about half the enrolling students didn't come at all.) Anyway, I'm looking forward to actually getting into the school year, even though I haven't written all my outcomes and aims and goals and objectives (as the school actually requires for each class).

I guess I'll go work on that now ... bye!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, The light in your apartment looks so soft. Very inviting. Sounds like you are enjoying the new life. I enjoy reading both of your blogs.

Anonymous said...

anonymous is Auntie Noreen

Anonymous said...

I noticed the hardwood floor right away. Your apt looks nice. Sounds like you've put a lot of heart into it already. ;-) Mom