Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Take me to your leader

In Humanities, the 7th graders are starting a unit on China. In this unit, they will learn that Chinese women had bound feet. I know because the 8th graders told me about it at the beginning of the year. They wanted to know if that ever happened to anyone in my family.

This year's 7th graders began yesterday by making a big chart on the board, listing things they already knew and things they wanted to learn. (This strategy is called KWL, and they will come back at the end of the unit and list what they have learned.) On the "already know" list:
1) Different decorations
2) They trade with the U.S.
3) Great Wall of China
4) China wanted boys instead of girls
5) Major cities have a Chinatown
6) Do carate
7) Eat very different food
8) Worship Buda
9) Known for wearing robes
10) Different calendar
11) Tounge cut off if you lie.

Good job, kids.

Want to know:
1) How long was the Wall of China around?
2) What gods do they worship?
3) Do they have a town for U.S.?
4) Why do Chinese people love cats?
5) Do they have responsibilities?
6) How do you make fortune cookies?
7) What's the aconamy?
8) Who is their king?
9) Was China made befor Asia?

I'm not sure what some of those questions mean.

Their other big idea is that since I got my hair cut, I look like Mulan. You be the judge.

We just planned Spirit Week (and I got the fun job of being faculty chair of the Spirit Committee. No, I'm not joking, it really is fun). Proposals for themes for each day included Jersey Day (but they tried that last year, and not enough people owned jerseys so it sucked), Pink and Purple Day (but not everyone likes pink and purple--thankfully), Backwards Day (rejected because "What if we have to go to the bathroom??"), Bum/Hobo Day (they had some other word, I forget what it was, but anyway I said no), and Favorite Rap Star Day (Brie came through, reminding everyone that they might "wear really big jeans and they might fall down and show our panties" or, alternatively, they might dress like a female pop star, which would be inappropriately hoochie for school, though I don't think she actually said hoochie). We ended up choosing Twin Day, International Day, Cartoon Character Day, and School Colors/Rally Day. I hope it turns out good ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear mulan,
in response to your class' innocent and understandably naive inquiry about religion in china--religion is strictly forbodden. they are, afterall, godless communists.
hop-on-pop