Sunday, February 03, 2008

afghans for Afghans

It is a delight to be able to combine my recreation with doing something useful for the rest of the world, and here is a perfect opportunity! Patrick and I had some nice fresh pasta with friends on Friday, and one of them was excited to tell us about her first donation to afghans for Afghans. Their current push is for hats and socks for newborns at a hospital in Kabul. I hadn't really thought about how cold Afghanistan is. I hope that these donations are really useful ...

Here is my first finished object in that vein. A hat, 100% wool (Cascade 220). I didn't even have to buy any yarn, just used odds and ends left over from other projects. And it took less than a day. I love knitting baby stuff!

If you are interested in non-monetary donations but don't knit (or crochet), try my new game! FreeRice is a multiple-choice vocabulary test. For every word you get right, sponsors donate 20 grains of rice through the UN to "help end world hunger." You also get points to increase your "vocab level," so the words keep getting harder (i.e., more useless). I've learned some new words, or at least brushed up on my test-taking skills. One of my jobs for next year is to take the GRE. FreeRice can't hurt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice hat.
played the free rice game and am happy to say that i helped donate 160 grains of rice before i fell into "dhole."
i was thinking of someone i know. but then that would be a proper noun and it wouldn't seem right to think of that person as a "dhole".
at any rate, can't say i feel any smarter.
duh.
hoponpop

Mary said...

This is a wonderful idea. There's a "Knot Just for Grannies" knitting and crocheting club at Cornell. I'm going to let them know about this. Beautiful booties and hats you're knitting!