Saturday, January 17, 2009

Waiting for Inauguration Day


Wow, it's been a while since I've posted. I am not very good at blogging.



Our neighborhood Walgreens, on Lake Park and 55th, is "Barack Obama Headquarters." They sell lots of Obama gear and have autographed pictures of him hanging in their photo department. This is definitely my favorite thing about Chicago. I haven't decided what to do on Tuesday yet ... I'm going to a bar with a friend in the evening, for some kind of bluegrass show that sounds celebratory. For the actual swearing in, etc., I also want to be with other people. (My school is closing for the day, but it's unusual in that respect.) There are a lot of options, so I'm sure I'll figure something out.

The weather here has been COLD. More than 20 below last week. It made school rather subdued (lots of kids stayed home rather than brave those temperatures, especially if they had to take the bus--but for others, school was the warmest place they could be during the day). It hasn't been too hard for me to stay warm, though. I'm eating lots of soup and curling up under a sleeping bag to watch HBO's John Adams. I've only seen the first two episodes. It's fascinating how relevant so many of its issues still are. What, for example, are the moral limits for a people fighting a system that is theoretically just but practically violent and hypocritical? As a side note, I'm glad tarring and feathering has gone out of vogue. I didn't realize it was so brutal. Oakland, what can be said?

Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been 80 years old last Friday.

I'm holding my breath for Barack Obama. Holding my breath for change.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Wish you could just come over and share the inauguration with me! It does feel more auspicious this year. I have to work, too, but I hope we can set something up in the library so people can watch. Thanks to you and Patrick for fixing my tv so I can watch in the evening. Just checked the schedule, and saw there's a Neighborhood Ball being started by Obama which regular people can attend and people around the nation can check in and participate via interactive technology, also broadcast via ABC.http://www.pic2009.org/blog/entry/the_first-ever_neigbhorhood_ball/
I love the ownership Walgreen's has taken!

Nicole said...

Cool! Neighborhood Ball--what a neat idea.