Sunday, June 12, 2005

Crazyland


After failing to buy a new computer (I think I'm going to switch to Mac!) on Friday, Patrick and I decided to just wander around campus a little bit, and we stumbled into the Cactus Garden. It used to be Leland Stanford's private garden, according to another visitor; apparently, old Leland told his minions to go around the southwestern US and northern Mexico collecting cacti, and they filled up a whole train with what they found and shipped it back to Stanford.

As you might expect, a cactus garden is a crazy place. So crazy, in fact, that I made Patrick return with me today to photograph this soon-to-be-thousands-of-miles-away treasure. It's like a Lewis Carroll creation. Here is a gigantic cactus flower full of bees.

2 comments:

Patrick Iber said...

It's a bee-eating monster.

Patrick Iber said...

It's a me-eating bonster.
A bee-meeting eonster.
A e-beating meester.