Sunday, June 12, 2005

Last Days of School


I had my last day of school on Thursday. We spent the final ten minutes taking pictures, which everyone got really excited about. One suggestion to myself for next year, however, is to photograph the boys first. It was hard to rally them again after the girls had their group photo, but I'm sure the girls would never have let me get away without taking their picture at least a dozen times.

There are actually two days of school left (Monday and Tuesday, who knows why), but my future employer (if they ever get me the contract!) is sending me to a math conference in Monterey. I'm looking forward to it, actually. The seminars will be very small (less than 15 people in each section), and hopefully very useful, and Monterey is so pretty.

The final project that my students submitted was a packet of four problems. One of the problems was about linear relationships; a hypothetical Jose in is a cookie-eating contest, and students have to chart how many cookies he's eating each minute. Question #3 asked: "Why are some of the numbers in your table negative? What was happening with Jose and the cookies during those minutes?" Some of the responses:

"He had already finished and was waiting for time to run out." -Kristin
"Because Jose had finished before the 10 minutes were done, he was chillin' like a villin'" -Felicia
"I think he finished his cookies and ate extra ones." -Dennis and Jesus
"I think he threw up his cookies." -D and Roy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are too hard on yourself- I was there. You did grrrr---8!