Saturday, August 11, 2007

objets d'arte

My first week back at work. Included the annual overnight retreat to a board member's beach house in Indiana. Nice to see everyone. Learned a new card game!

I think this is my last post for Mexico pictures. Maybe second-to-last.

To start off with, some pre-Hispanic art objects. From the anthropology museum.

kittyvase

two friends
1) Teehee! A cat! Actually, that's just a guess. I don't remember what civilization this was from. One thing that's striking is how much trade and exchange they had, anyway. 2) Mom and I liked this vase. Easy to envision it for sale in a modern gallery. I wonder how many periods and places around the world it could plausibly seem to belong to. 3) I love the expression on these two friends. The one on the right reminds me of an anime character, but I can't figure out who.

sor juanamarshmallow loveliesLeft: The 200 peso note, featuring the famous intellectual and nun, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz (and Patrick's money clip, .925 silver with malachite inlay, very nice). I wonder how many countries have women on their currency. I guess we have Susan B. Anthony and Sacajawea on the dollar coins that no one uses.

Right: Mexico's version of Peeps? I hate the taste of those sugary marshmallow things, but these sure are cute.

Back to planning for the return of students!

No comments: